Microsoft reported that broadened support of Visual FoxPro has been scratched off after 1/13/2015. It implies that there will be no new fixes or updates for FoxPro to offer help for future working framework and equipment any longer. Despite the fact that FoxPro is not out of date after January 2015, organizations shouldn’t depend on a ceased item because of security and unwavering quality reasons.
Microsoft specified “Customers are highly encouraged to move to a supported product as soon as possible”, in any case, the organizations ought not to be frightened by this reality by any means. There are loads of option for this DBMS. FoxPro clients would now be able to move their information to other database configurations, for example, MySQL, Oracle or SQL Server. Be that as it may, comprehend that none of other programming dialects and instruments is precisely similar to FoxPro. That is the reason FoxPro code requires ahuge push to be modified with another programming device.
What is the best alternative to Visual FoxPro?
Database specialists encourage changing over to Microsoft Visual Studio.NET with SQL Server as backend information stockpiling. There are various advantages of this approach:
- .NET permits to make both desktop and program based applications
- .NET is the most prominent Microsoft advancement arrangement, there are numerous high gifted experts working with it
- SQL Server is a standout amongst the most prevalent database frameworks
- SQL Server is profoundly dependable, secure and versatile
- SQL Server is accessible as free form with essential components for private companies (Express) and paid adaptation having most extreme limit with respect to immense corporate databases (Enterprise)
How to migrate FoxPro database to SQL Server?
There are a few ways to deal with relocating FoxPro database to SQL Server. The vast majority of them with the exception of the last one require manual endeavors in arranging and controlling the relocation procedure.
1 – MSSQL Linked Server highlight.
- Download and introduce Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Visual FoxPro
- Make beyond any doubt it shows up in MSSQL Management Studio as “VFPOLEDB” (see System Objects > Linked Servers > Providers in route sheet)
- Open System Objects, right snap Linked Servers and include another connected server
- Fill in the frame this way: Provider=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Visual FoxPro, Product Name=VFPOLEDB, Data Source=path to .dbf file(s), Provider String=VFPOLEDB
- Click “alright” and you should see FoxPro tables show up in MSSQL Management Studio window
- Then it is conceivable to duplicate the structure and substance of FoxPro tables into local SQL Server database
2 – Commercial applications can mechanize the whole method of database relocation from FoxPro to SQL Server. One of these applications is DBF to SQL Server converter by Intelligent Converters. This database transformation instrument bolsters arrangements of FoxPro information and MEMO records and works with all renditions of Microsoft SQL including Azure SQL. DBF to SQL Server converter does not utilize ODBC or whatever other middleware programming keeping in mind the end goal to ensure elite of database relocation. Besides, the dbf to msSQL can be performed.